Deforestation is one of the most high-profile challenges for the leather industry. Cattle farming is widely reported as a major driver of deforestation, particularly in South America. Customers are increasingly demanding products that they can trust are not fuelling illegal deforestation.
Under new legislation proposed by European and UK parliaments, large businesses will be prohibited from sourcing ‘forest risk commodities’, including beef and leather, from areas of illegal deforestation. To ensure they do not source from these regions, companies are required to conduct their own due diligence on their supply chains.
Can you verify that there are no deforestation risks to your business? Map your supply chain
The Eurofins | BLC Leather Sustainability Mapping Tool can help you carry out due diligence on your leather supply chain. Through our supply chain mapping tool, we can help you to carry out due diligence on your supply chain, understand the deforestation risk, and be confident that you have an effective sourcing policy.
If you do not know your leather supply chain well, we can help to identify and map your suppliers. At Eurofins | BLC Leather Sustainability, in many cases, we can trace leather all the way to the slaughterhouse. We can quantify the risk of sourcing from deforested regions and can offer advice on how to manage this risk.
Why Invest in an Interactive Geographic Map?
At Eurofins | BLC, our Leather Sustainability Team have mapped the supply chains of various types of organisations from medium producers to large multi-brand retail groups. In our experience, supply chain mapping quickly becomes a much greater task than expected and specialist support is often required for the collation, storage, and interpretation of such volume of data.
Benefits of using our interactive geographic supply chain mapping software:
- Produce heat-maps highlighting risk areas such as deforestation
- Uses up to 20 years of deforestation data to highlight risk areas
- Zoom into specific buildings using satellite imagery
- Easier for stakeholders to interpret the data than spreadsheet diagrams
- Choose how you want to view your geographic supply chain through a series of filters; by tier, by supplier or by type of facility
- Presented in a secure online web page format, with a clear visual breakdown of data sub-divided into relevant sections
- 1-2-1 technical support from our Leather Sustainability Team
- Future proof software: Build upon existing maps and data with future projects
- Designed for leather, textiles, and other materials
Minimise Deforestation Risk – Get in touch today
For more information about the Eurofins | BLC supply chain mapping service and the geographic mapping software, contact us today to discuss with one of our Leather Sustainability consultants. Email email@example.com, telephone +44 (0)1604 679 999 or complete the contact form below.